Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Yearly Goals

Hello there! Hope everyone has been doing well.  I can't believe 2011 is almost done :(.

I'm at the coffee shop an hour before my shift at my other job on campus, so I figured I'd take a bit of time to update! As we approach the end of 2011 we'll be bringing in a new year.  A new year for some means a fresh start, along with a fresh list of goals we'd like to achieve.

Prior to last year, I NEVER made a list of yearly goals (sadly!).  I don't know, I guess I wasn't very self-reflective before.

However, after making a list last year--I must say, it really works! In fact, I think to a certain extent, I exceeded my own expectations.  I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that making a list of goals kept me focused and gave me a direction--two things that are extremely important when it comes to achieving goals.

These were my goals last year:
  • Apply for university and get in
  • Get a job at the library, lab, or tutoring during the school year
  • Finish the Fall semester with a 4.0 GPA
  • Eat Healthier
  • Exercise consistently
  • Find a summer job
  • Improve at tennis
  • Study during the summer
Out of all the goals I listed above, there were three I didn't completely accomplish: eat healthier, exercise consistently and finish off the fall semester with a 4.0 GPA.  Everything else I accomplished.

As far as exercise and eating healthier, I was pretty consistent with both until I returned to school full-time in September.  Nonetheless, I have to find a way to do both consistently year-round--at least when it comes to eating healthier! Because I know the exercise will always be there in the summer at the very least--plus, eating healthier has precedence over exercise.

As far as my GPA, my marks haven't been out yet--but I know enough to know that it won't be a 4.0.  I'm guessing it'll be between 3.1-3.3.  Knowing what it's like to have a full course load while working two simultaneous part-time jobs, I'm confident my GPA in the upcoming semester will be a 4.0.  I really felt I was close this semester--and if it weren't for all the adjustments I had to through, I'm pretty sure I would've had it.


My goals going into the 2012 is simple: to get better.


Whether it's in my personal or professional life, all my goals are going to be based on getting better.  More specifically, they are the following:

  • Attain a 4.0 GPA for the Winter semester
  • Apply and get into the biomedical engineering program in my university
  • Find a summer job
  • Eat Healthier
  • Exercise consistently
  • Save my money
  • Research and (possibly) apply for Research Assistant positions within my university
  • Nurture old relationships, foster the new ones
  • Continue to improve at tennis and table tennis

Something that I keep in mind is that these are the "big picture" goals.  There's a lot more to this.  Meaning I have to set goals everyday to ensure I accomplish these "big picture" goals--this is what ultimately makes the difference.  Writing it down is the easy part, but working towards it every single day not so much.

Despite being 5 days removed from my last exam, I've already given myself a head start on my new years' resolutions and started working towards all my new goals.

How about you? What are your goals going into 2012?

No comments:

Post a Comment