Saturday, August 13, 2011

Finishing out the Summer

This post is inspired by Sophia Chua-Rubenfeld's latest blog post: http://tigersophia.blogspot.com/.  I'm a huge fan of Sophia's blog--I think she's witty, intelligent, and has a great sense of humour.

On to my post...I can't believe summer is on the brink of coming to an end! I haven't been up to an entire lot.  Ever since quitting my summer job at the end of July, I've mainly been studying, playing lots of tennis and just hanging out with friends.

For those who are curious about what I could possibly be studying for in the summer--I'm basically studying for all my first year Physics, Chemistry and Math courses.  Since I've already taken these courses during my former program, it's all review for me.  I really want to do well this upcoming year (and in all my future years as well, of course), so I do feel like putting in 3-6 hours of pure studying per day is totally worth it.  Plus, I think I'm just a big nerd in general.  I enjoy studying and going to school.

Also, I think working at the job that I was working at this summer helped me reinforce (even more) the importance of going to school, doing well, and graduating so that I have more power to choose the kind of job I'd like.  I was more unhappy and miserable at this job than any other job I've had in the past.  As I constantly put it to my friends when I spoke about to them about it: "I was aging by the minute".  All that stress and unhappiness just wasn't worth the paycheque, even though I did need it to cover my summer expenses along with the down payment for my school tuition.  Next summer I'll probably be attending summer school because of the extra courses I need to take towards program requirements--I hope by then, I could still find a job on campus.  Something like working at the library, lab, or tutoring part-time would be awesome--even as I go back to school this September I'm hoping to find a job on campus as well.  I'm tired of working at these odd jobs during my summers.

For now, I'm just going to take the remainder of the time that I have left to set short-term and long-term goals and work towards them while finding time to relax.  Meaning I finish off the Physics, Chemistry and Math reviewing, clean out my room, play as much tennis and stay active as possible, hang out with good friends, and just recuperate and get healthier in general. 

What about you? How are you finishing out your summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment